This is a collection of bedtime stories, written and told by me to my little girl.



















Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Ant Riddle

Queen Yama had a hard decision to make. Another Queen's colony was trying
to move in and force her and her family out. Her colony was a huge and
beautiful place. All of her children worked very hard to build and maintain
the palace where they all lived. Queen Yama didn't want to fight with the
neighboring colony. She also didn't want to let them take her home away.

She decided to call a meeting with the other colony's Queen and discuss the
situation. The counsels were called and the Queens met in a private
chamber. The other Queen introduced herself, "I am Queen Calla. What do
you want to talk to me about"?

Queen Yama said, "You are trying to overthrow my kingdom and I wish you to
stop."

Queen Calla replied "My army is stronger then yours. I will take your land
and you can't do anything about it."

Queen Yama didn't want any of her children to get hurt fighting so she made
a proposal. She said, "I will give you my land with no fight if you can
answer my riddle. If you get it correct we will all leave tonight. If you
get the answer wrong you have to move on and never bother us again."

Queen Calla was a very smart ant and she accepted the challenge thinking
that the land would be hers easily this way.

Queen Yama said, "I know that you are a very powerful Queen. Tell me, what
is both below and above you in your kingdom?"

Queen Calla answered immediately, "I am the Queen. Everyone is below me and
there is nothing that is above me." She smiled thinking that Queen Yama's
land was now hers.

Queen Yama smiled too. Then she said, "In your kingdom there is something
that is both above and below you. The correct answer is Dirt."

Queen Calla was mad that she had gotten the answer wrong. She honored their
challenge and left though, never bothering Queen Yama again.

Queen Yama knew that Queen Calla would answer the way she did. Queen Calla
couldn't see the kingdoms or her own power for what it was. Queen Yama was
happy that she had saved her kingdom without violence. That's what makes a
true Queen.

Told on Dec. 18, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment